Thursday, April 9, 2009

Copycat Outback Steakhouse Ranch Dressing

I have been searching for a good homemade ranch dressing recipe but have been unable to find one. I decided to search for copycat recipes and have been making different versions all week. Here is one of the best ones I have found so far:

1 teaspoon Hidden Valley Ranch salad dressing mix (make sure it's the Buttermilk version)
1 cup mayonnaise (Hellman's or Best Food's only)
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon paprika
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder

Throw everything in a blender and blend until everything is well combined.

A LIGHTER VERSION:
1 teaspoon Hidden Valley Ranch salad dressing mix (make sure it's the Buttermilk version)
1/2 cup mayonnaise (Hellman's or Best Food's only)
1/2 cup cottage cheese
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon paprika
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder

Mix everything together in the blender until well combined.

The only difference between the lighter version and the first recipe posted is the substitution of cottage cheese for some of the mayo. Both versions were good, but it's still not exactly the same as Outback. I have also seen some copycat recipes with 1 Tablespoon of the Ranch Dressing Mix instead of 1 teaspoon. I personally think the dressing needs a bit more flavor, but that's probably only because I'm a ranch snob. Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. Hmmmm ... none of these have spice in them. I used to work at Outback ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really? Do you by any chance know what goes into the dressing? Just ingredients - the rest I could probably figure out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha. Just revisiting this. I was reading through your recipes and got to this one and said, "No.... there's no spice in this recipe." Lol. Apparently this is deja vu! Um, anyway, no I don't know the ingredients. I would say at a guess that the spice is cayenne pepper. I'm not sure about the paprika also ... going off of appearance here ... if there was paprika and cayenne both, I think the dressing would be more orange than it is. The dressing overall has a slight pinkish hue, with random dark orange flecks. I would monkey around with that and see where it takes you. It's crazy, but in MN a lot of people would send back salads and such because the ranch was too spicy for them. Lol. It's noticeable, but only barely.

    ReplyDelete