Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Pork Roast

I will be trying this new slow cooker recipe. Although I love cooking, there are always those times in life when long cooking sessions are simply not enjoyable, or cannot be done due to time constraints. I am trying to compile a list of recipes that take little to no prep time, but may have a longer cooking time - like slow cooker recipes. I have made pot roast in my slow cooker, and love the way it comes out. Tonight I am going to try the following recipe. I will be serving it with some simple veggies and red potatoes.

Tangy Slow Cooker Pork Roast

  • 1 large onion, sliced
  • 2 1/2 pounds boneless pork loin roast
  • 1 cup hot water
  • 1/4 cup white sugar
  • 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
  • 2 tablespoons soy sauce
  • 1 tablespoon ketchup
  • 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1 dash hot pepper sauce, or to taste

  1. Arrange onion slices evenly over the bottom of the slow cooker, and then place the roast on top of the onion. In a bowl, mix together water, sugar, vinegar, soy sauce, ketchup, black pepper, salt, garlic powder, and hot sauce; pour over roast.
  2. Cover, and cook on Low for 6 to 8 hours, or on High for 3 to 4 hours.
From what the reviews said on Allrecipes, which is where I found this one - DOUBLE the liquids if possible to make sure to cover the roast. They also said, if you do double the recipe, don't double the sugar. Apparently it turns out quite sweet if you do. In addition to that, I will probably use broth instead of water to add a bit more flavor and fresh garlic instead of garlic power - heck, maybe a bit of both and probably some extra onions because cooked onions are the best. I will let you know how it turns out tonight or tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment